Money Today – Korea based news outlet, is reporting that Samsung has no plans to launch tablet PCs equipped with OLED displays this year. Instead, the Korean electronic giant is planning to expand its tablet PC business with LCD displays.
According to the report OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) not be seen in Samsung’s Tablet PC display, according to industry sources. However, the company intends to continue marketing the advantages of OLED display over LCD despite the many challenges faced currently with manufacturing OLED.
Here are some of the advantages of OLED over LCD as highlighted by Expert Column:
- Slimmer: The biggest advantage of OLED screen is that it is slimmer than LCD display. While LCD and Plasma displays could be few inches thick, OLED advantage is that it is only few millimeters thick.
- Faster: Another advantage of OLED is that it has much better response time than other displays. So these screens often provide better user experience. This advantage will lead great use of OLED screens in mobile phones and other handheld devices where fast response time is usually required.
- Efficiency in Energy: OLED displays consumes less energy as compared to LCD displays and other display screens. No backlit is required in these screens which is the biggest OLED advantage for use in portable gadgets.
- Good for Eyes: Another great advantage of OLED is that it pts less stains on eyes and hence are eye soothening. These screens provide better viewing experience because they have better contrast, brightness and color aspects.
- Large Viewing Angle: Viewing angle is always an issue in flat screens. But with the advent of OLED displays, viewing angle could be as large as 170 degrees because they produce their own light which increases their viewing angle.
- Flexible: Now you get displays which you can bend. This is possible only through the advent of OLED screens.
- Durability: Another great advantage of OLED is that it is more durable than traditional screens. The chance of getting broken is comparatively less to LCD screens and other displays.
On the other hand, OLED is currently more expensive to manufacture than LCD, it has a lower manufacturing yield impacting on production capacity, shorter lifetime span and lower resolution compare. In addition, last year Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet PC was equipped with AMOLED ( with active-matrix organic light-emitting diode), however, the feature did not prove to be a big sales driver. According to the report, the sales of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet PC was sluggish compared to the other models.
Source Korean: Money Today