Today the BBC has launched free Sport app for iPhone and iPod touch devices in the UK, with the Android version to follow soon. According to the press release the new app, “brings together BBC Sport’s expert coverage to deliver news, live scores, stats, commentary and analysis on-the-go.” The new app can stream media over a 3G or Wifi connection and is available on iOS versions 5.0 and above.
Some of the features of the app include:
- Home screen displaying the top stories across the world of sport.
- A page for every Football, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Golf
- Daily live text commentaries from BBC journalists
- Detailed football live scores, match stats and text commentaries
- A full season’s football fixtures and results searchable by day
- Football tables
- Customise the app with quick links to your favourite sport
- Share stories and results by email and on social networks
“Through the huge success of the Olympics we know that audiences love to access sport services through both mobile browser and apps,” Lucie McLean, Executive Product Manager for Sport, BBC Future Media states. “The new BBC Sport app builds on the success of London 2012 to give users an even easier way to get the content they love, whether it’s checking out how their team got on, following live text updates on the day’s sporting action or catching up with the latest news.”